The Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge scholarship is one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. This program was established in 2000 with a $210 million donation from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to University of Cambridge. In fact, this was the single largest donation to any UK university.
At Cambridge, the scholars can pursue the full range of subjects offered by the university and are spread through its colleges and departments. In fact, their alumni are pursuing employment or further education across several sectors of the society, and are also working for improving the lives of others.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program
The Gates Cambridge scholarship program offers scholarship funding from one to four years of study at the Cambridge University in the England. The areas of funded study include clinical, and MBA, affiliated (a second undergraduate degree), and graduate courses. Students can apply directly through usual procedures, with the decision to award scholarship depending solely on the university.
More than 600 US students apply for Gates Cambridge scholarship and about one-fourth of them are offered a follow-up interview. About 100 scholarships are awarded every year, and about one-third of those go to US applicants.
At a glance
* Currently there are 1,339 Gates Cambridge Alumni and Scholars from 98 countries
* First class of Scholars took up their awards in 2001
* 90 new Scholarships awarded every year 40 in the US around 50 around the world
* About 239 Scholars from around 48 countries studying in Cambridge
* Over 1,100 Alumni spread across the globe
* appropriate fit between the candidate’s plans and courses offered by Cambridge, as revealed through the written application and interview of the applicant
* Aptitude for analysis, research and creative approach to resolving problems
* Exception academic achievements and scholarly promise
* Leadership potential
* A strong commitment to improve the lives of others
Eligibility for Gates Cambridge Scholarship
* A citizen of any country outside the UK
* Wants to pursue one of the following residential courses at the University of Cambridge:
• MSc or MLitt (two-year research-only degree); PhD (three-year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. LLM, MPhil, MASt, MBA, Diploma, etc.)
• Already a student of university and wants to apply for a postgraduate course.
• Already a Gates Cambridge scholar and interested in applying for a second scholarship. You will have to apply before the international deadline and go through the process of dept ranking once again. You will be short listed and interviewed like other candidates
Courses Not Eligible For Gates Cambridge Scholarship
• BA affiliated (a second BA)
• BA (undergraduate)
• Part-time degrees
• MBBChir Clinical Studies
• Courses at universities other than Cambridge
• Non-degree courses
Preparing the application
The Gates Cambridge scholarship application has questions that may vary slightly depending upon the area of funded study. However, there will also be questions related to your course of study and a 500 word personal statement. You should also provide details how your past activities reflect both service and leadership and how your chosen course will help you in attaining your goals.
Gallery of Gates Cambridge Scholarship
There are 12 high resolution photographs again to check, so Don’t miss to view all Cool images in Gates Cambridge Scholarship article galleries for your next inspiration by clicking the thumbnail below.
Rate this Gates Cambridge Scholarship
There are 66 readers and enthusiasts have rated this Gates Cambridge Scholarship which is a part of Scholarship News.